Saturday, October 4, 2008

Broken Arm



Rachel broke her left upper arm on Sept 30 while playing on her swingset in the backyard. I was sitting right there, but didn't see it happen. From what they tell me somehow Reagan came down the slide after her and landed on it. Rachel started crying right away saying something was wrong with her arm. It was just hanging there so I originally thought it was dislocated, but as it began to swell at the elbow I figured it was broken. Reagan said "I didn't mean to break sissy's arm". I called 911 and could barely hear them on the other end with all of Rachel's crying. She wanted to know when the ambulance was coming but then settled down once they got there. I wasn't able to ride in the ambulance with her since Jeff wasn't home. Fortunately, I found my neighbor out jogging on our way to the hospital and dropped off Reagan and Jake with her. I was able to catch up with the ambulance before it got to the hospital.
In the ER they had to cut her favorite shirt that she happened to be wearing that day =(. They did an Xray and found that it was a complete fracture - both parts of the bone weren't even lined up. They also determined that she had no radial or ulnar pulse in her left arm. It was more serious than I had realized. Fortunately, the ER doctor was able to sedate her and pop the bones closer back together to get the pulse back. But she still needed surgery that night.
The orthopedic surgeon hoped that he could do a closed fixation, but ended up having to cut open her arm to set the bones. Underneath her cast she has stitches and 2 huge pins. We go back in 2 weeks to have it reset.
Reagan missed Rachel while she was in the hospital. While talking on the phone they both told eachother "I love you". Reagan colored a picture for Rachel and brought it with her when she visited. They gave eachother a kiss before Reagan left for the night.
Rachel stayed in the hospital 2 nights because she was having so much pain she didn't want to get out of bed. She is still on a lot of pain medicaiton, but now 3 days later she is starting to get around more and play some instead of just laying around. I'm sure it won't be long and I will have trouble keeping her still.

No comments: